Drawn to Brilliance. Brutally Honest.

Agree or disagree, feel free to comment...HERE!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

GQ Gets Andre 3000 and Lady GaGa Confused

Is it just me? Or is there something off base about the way GQ Magazine describes designer(?)-actor-Outkast artist Andre Benjamin in its latest issue dedicated to "The 25 Most Stylish Men in the World"?
Accompany a photo of Benjamin, a.k.a. Andre 3000, perched on a rooftop ledge, GQ brands him as the, "Master of Constant Reinvention".
Isn't that the kind of thing you say about Madonna, or Miley Cyrus?
Couldn't they have just portrayed him simply as a man of "Exquisite Taste"?
(I know one of Dre's tailors. The suits he has 'in production' are ill!)
To the February GQ's credit: it does give Benjamin the room to explain, in his own words, a recent penchant for wearing knee-high boots with tweedy jackets and Dick Tracy hats.
Other notables on GQ's list include: LaFace Records founder and on-and-off Atlantan, L.A. Reid; NBA star LeBron James; rap's answer to Mick Jagger, Jay-Z; and CNN's unflappable Anderson Cooper.
The magazine invites readers to engage in an online poll to pick THE MOST stylish man of all; and from the options offered, my vote's split between former Clash bassist Paul Simonon and "Italian automotive scion" Lapo Elkann.
To each his own...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, it's you. I still got this bad taste in my mouth when 3000 wore this pink dress on National TV. I'm gonna have to agree with GQ on their assessment. Anyone who came from THAT "style" has evolved, big time. I like his "back to the classics" I saw @Neimans. My all time style poll would have to include Fred Astaire and Prince Charles. No one beats Saville Row for suits. The really real deal!
DE Edmond

Anonymous said...

Prince Charles is quite the sleeper in the all time style poll. I agree with Anonymous. Prince Charles was rocking the spread collar and the Four-in-hand knot during the neon hued 1980's which makes his ranking that much more impressive. All the cats of Fred Astaire's era were always nattily attired. I am especially fond of the fedora and top coat which were standard fare at the time.

A. Scott Walton said...

Since we're formulating a "Hall of Fame", I'll cast a quick vote for Nat King Cole. Did anyone EVER see him with a proverbial hair out of place?