Drawn to Brilliance. Brutally Honest.

Agree or disagree, feel free to comment...HERE!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

String Music Stirs King Memorial Dedication

Israeli Violin Sensation Re-Fuels "The Dream" at Memorial Dedication

By A. Scott Walton
Meet Miri Ben-Ari; if you haven't already.

Anyone left on the planet who's not yet acquainted with Ben-Ari's unique blend of classical violin, hip-hop and jazz likely will be after her performance Sunday at the dedication of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial in Washington,D.C.
A personal favorite of First Lady Michelle Obama's, Ben-Ari won "Best Rap Song" Grammy Award for co-writing Kanye West's smash 2005 hit, "Jesus Walks".
The song Ben-Ari's best known for was inspired by a line from the slain civil rights leader's "I Have a Dream" speech. The spell-binding piece is entitled, "Symphony of Brotherhood"rose as high as No. 2 on Billboard's "Hip Hop" charts in 2007.
At the King Memorial dedication, she debuted an original composition called "Black Tone" that was inspired by the Montgomery Bus Boycotts instigated by Rosa Parks' refusal to give up her seat. The acclaimed spoken word artist, Poem-Cees, provided vocal accompaniment.
"I've been a part of many major show, from playing Radio City Music Hall to performing at the Super Dome," Ben-Ari said in an exclusive interview. "But this time, it's historical. We'll all be there paying respect to an incomparable man. So I want to help make sure it's an experience we remember for a very long time."
She performed "Black Tone" an hour before President Barack Obama delivered his dedication speech.
The all-star roster of artists Ben-Ari's collaborated with in her relatively short career - after years of study under the iconic violinist Isaac Stern - includes: Wynton Marsalis, Patti Labelle, Janet Jackson, Jay Z and John Legend.
Besides being a violin virtuoso, she's somewhat of a visual artist whose body language resonates onstage.
"When I was recording with Wycleaf Jean, he said it's like the violin becomes an extension of me," Ben-Ari recalled. "And Kanye paid me the highest compliment by calling me the Miles Davis of our time.
"I just go into a zone and lose myself. It's me, the audience and the music."
She performed "Symphony of Brotherhood" at the White House at Mrs. Obama's special request earlier this year.
"I've done a lot in my career, but playing at the dedication will definitely be a major milestone for me," she said. "I came to the U.S. from a small town in Israel to pursue the American Dream. This is the land of possibilities and now I see they're real."

No comments: