Drawn to Brilliance. Brutally Honest.

Agree or disagree, feel free to comment...HERE!

Friday, September 17, 2010

"Twist" gives Dickens a vibrant spin in Atlanta


By A. Scott Walton
Have you seen "Twist" at Atlanta's Woodruff Arts Center yet?
Did it render you virtually speechless too?
(Above left: "Twist" author William F. Brown, director-choreographer Debbie Allen, producer Tena Clark and composer Gary Prim)
How many times did the Charles Dickens classic "Oliver Twist" - reworked into a Depression-Era New Orleans tale - put you on the verge of tears, elation, panic or gut-busting laughter?
To call "Twist" a spell-binding two-plus hours of singing, dancing and acting would be putting it mildly. Its indescribable mix of anguish, intrigue, visual and redemptive story-telling gave EyeSeeStyle serious pause.
Do we dare declare that it's "Broadway-bound"?
Rather than ruin the surprises in store for "Twist" patrons, here's just a sampling of observations from heavyweights attached to the show or the local theatric scene, and a few photos from the "Twist" premiere last week...
(Below left: producer Michelle Seward, lead performer Alaman Diadhiou and producer Tena Clark)

Debbie Allen, director-choreographer of “Twist”: “It’s just been an amazing journey putting this all together…I was destined for this. My family was from the Port Allen, Baton Rouge area. Going to New Orleans was like going to New York when I was a little girl. So I have all the culture and history and the language of that part of the world in my bones. It’s in my DNA.”

Alaman Diadhio, title character, age 10: “I’m so excited for so many people to see all the work we’ve done. This is my first big show where I’m the star. I think that every (performer) brings joy and happiness to the audience, and that’s what makes it great.”

Camille Love, City of Atlanta Director of Cultural Affairs: “Atlanta keeps outdoing itself. (The show’s) just delightful. It’s got a lot of energy, It’s a very good story told very well and performed very well.”
(Below left: Arts enthusiast Liz Lapidus and Tony-winning Director Kenny Leon)
Kenny Leon, Tony Award-winning True Colors Theatre Founding Artistic Director: “I’m guardedly excited to see what (director-choreograher) Debbie Allen’s put together. I’ve known her for a long time and I want to see how the choreography meshes with the singing and the acting. We need more premieres like this so we can encourage more artists to live in Atlanta and work in Atlanta.”

William F. Brown, author “The Wiz”, “Twist”: “This has taken a long time. We started working on “Twist” 15 years ago. Now that’s it’s made it to Atlanta, and it’s such a great production, it gives me a good feeling about the future for the show. And it takes me back.”

No comments: