Drawn to Brilliance. Brutally Honest.

Agree or disagree, feel free to comment...HERE!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Ebony Fashion Fair Fizzles Out

Say farewell to those outdated runway productions known as the Ebony Fashion Fair. After 50 years of striving to rise above the “chittlin’ circuit” of traveling trend previews, Ebony has admitted defeat against the rising tide of dire economics.
United Press International reports that the show won’t go on. According to UPI, Johnson Publishing CEO Linda Johnson Rice released a Labor Day weekend statement, saying: “In the coming months, we will develop a new business model to ensure that the show is a mutually beneficial endeavor.”
She also alluded to “challenges” in enticing corporate sponsors.
Man, oh man: can this mean that the demise of Jet and Ebony magazines can’t be far behind?
For decades, the Ebony Fashion Fair has served as a major fund-raising vehicle, and the Miami Herald has already quoted an area philanthropist who calls the news “devastating”.
But is it really?



Did the “stomp-pop-and-twirl” cavalcade stand any chance of survival in this “Real Housewives…” world we’ve adopted?
Does anyone out there think the Ebony Fashion Fair will be missed?
POST A COMMENT (BELOW) TO SHARE YOUR OPINION!
Photos: Flickr

6 comments:

fatblackwoman said...

LOL I haven't been to an Ebony Fashion Fair in over 20 years. I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

MissTheda said...

Honestly, I thought Ebony Fashion Fair had died years ago.

de edmond said...

if I am the ONLY one who will miss the fashion show then I will stand tall till the end. My question is why do we as a people ALWAYS have to be "fashionably late?" For example, Jeffery's charitable fashion show here in the city raises more money for a charitable cause every year. Do you hear him talking about going out of business? Does he talk about problems with corporate sponsors? His ticket prices go up every year and are RIDICULOUSLY high. But he packs the crowds year after year. I disagree with your "outdated runway productions." I give credit to the production teams for coming up with exciting themes that served the runway very well and very creatively. Sure, any annual event will lose its luster. And that seems to be where the problem lies with our people. Why dont we view this fashion show for exactly what it is? Why do we have such a hard time supporting "US?" The Ebony fashion show is OUR class act. And then I read the comments from the others regarding your article. And the question I really should be asking is, does anybody give a damn? Oh well, I guess I will be mortgaging my house to support Jeffery's higher priced event. And if you havent gotten my point just yet, let me help you. Its all about a worthy cause.

A. Scott Walton said...

Mr. Edmond,
Well said. Well taken.

Unknown said...

Hello Scott!!! Well, as a past EFF model, I am saddened to see the show end. Mrs. Eunice Johnson had a wonderful concept that truly brought money and culture to some otherwise dormant and remote cities. On top of that, monies earned benefitted really good causes. The show itself wasn't outdated. I know for a fact that the staff did indeed "shop" couture nationally and internationally for the production. This gave many new and upcoming African-American designers a platform when they had no audience. Mrs. Johnson loved the show as if it were her child. Misappropriation of funds, the economy, and lack of support have all impacted the demise of this dynasty. Ebony and Jet are in true jeopardy. You cannot continue to dip into the pot and live lavishly when your company is going down. Mr. John Johnson would be appalled at the state of affairs now. He was an astute business man who built Johnson Publishing from the ground up. I have great respect for both John and Eunice Johnson. I learned a lot from touring with the EFF. I am so glad that I did get to take my little girl once before the curtain dropped one final time. Perhaps they will be able to reconfigure the production and bring it back. This show is like the eccentric family member we all love to visit. Don't be so hard on it darling! It is a sad day. Whatever happened to "The show must go on"? I am proud to have been a part of this long-standing production. Ebony Fashion Fair brought elegance and entertainment and I hope they will be able to recapture that again... ~ Monica

A. Scott Walton said...

Monica,
thanks for adding your insights!